Here are the top five benefits of smoothies.
1. One smoothie a day, packs multiple servings of fruit and or vegetables and spices.
2. An easy way to incorporate antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, fiber, and plant based proteins.
3. Totally customizable and easily altered to fit your taste buds.
4. A portable breakfast that boosts your immune system all year round and helps you steer clear of drive-thrus as well as mid morning slumps.
5. Naturally sweet, a smoothie will satisfy that sweet craving without the refined sugar.
Fresh juiced Oranges & Grapefruit. Slice of Lemon & Lime. Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries (if they’re in season) Strawberries. Probiotic. Turmeric (only if you like a it, and a tiny bit). Raw egg. Ice
Alkaline Green Smoothie
I love how fresh this smoothie is, it’s just divine.
yield- 1 smoothie approx 12-16oz
6″ piece of cucumber
3 medium Kale leaves, torn
5 stems fresh mint
3 stems fresh parsley
piece fresh ginger
1 cup coconut water
fresh juice of one lime
1-2 tsp udo’s oil
1-2 tbsp hemp or chia or flax seeds
2-3 tsp of agave or honey
1. Place all ingredients into high speed blender and mix until smooth, adding a little filtered water if needed for consistency.
2. Optionally, I add 1/2 cup frozen berries–blueberries, raspberries or strawberries as they are low sugar fruit that is healthier to add than the super sweet fruits. However, you may find that you like the smoothie as is above.
3. The lime, the ginger and the mint are really nice together.
4. I have discovered that the coconut water is quite hydrating and I like the flavor it brings to the smoothie. It does contain a little natural sugar. You might like to use almond milk in place if you want to avoid the sugar all together as it will still taste nice. If I can actually find a young coconut in the market to open up so I can extract the juice and the meat, it’s a good day! The bottled coconut water is okay but because it has been pasteurized the nutrient levels are considerably less, but still beneficial. Just be sure to buy the unsweetened, unflavoured version.
Nana’ and Oat Smoothie:
1/4 cup of Oats (old fashioned oats)
3/4 cup of Milk
1 T of peanut butter
1 frozen banana
5-10 ice cubes
* optional to add 1t of espresso beans (instant will do) if you want a little kick.
Beets, Green apple, Ginger, Celery, Spinach, Lemon
How to Blend a Smoothie:
– Liquid ingredients go in first – closest to the blades. This allows them to mix easily and incorporate all other ingredients added preventing clumps.
– Next, add the softest ingredients. Blend 10-30 seconds depending on how frothy you like your smoothies or shakes
– Lastly, add the ice and other solid ingredients (eggs, vegetables,) and blend for 30 seconds or until all chunks are removed.